Deadline of this Job: 02 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
Community Mobilization Assistant ( 41 Positions) – Education Development Center
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
Working in partnership with Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD), district and zonal officials, and other Ugandan government and civil society partners, ICYD will comprise a series of activities to: support improved basic education for Ugandan children; address school-related and gender-based violence; facilitate enhanced child protection and support for vulnerable youth; provide support to HIV-affected orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their caregivers/families; and support HIV care and treatment outcomes in close collaboration with clinical and community structures. ICYD will also contribute to improved systems within the MoES and MGLSD to promote Early Grade Reading (EGR) and child protection.
The Community Mobilization Assistant (CMA) will be responsible for supporting a given number of schools to ensure that children learn to read in safe and caring environments at school, home and in the community. S/he will be expected to work with all key stakeholders including the Headteachers (HTs), teachers, School Management Committees (SMCs) and Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), local governments and community leaders. The CMA will be part of and work collaboratively alongside other members of the ICYD Activity team, including the Early Grade Reading Officers (EGROs), District Community Engagement Supervisors (DCES) and Pre-Service Development Officers (PSDOs). This is a full-time position based in Gulu, Uganda, serving the following districts: Apac, Kole, Kwania, Lira, Dokolo, Oyam, Gulu, Kitgum, Omoro, and Agago.
As a member of the ICYD Activity team:
• CMAs will work closely with the HTs and teachers to facilitate early grade reading (EGR) activities in both Local Language and English at school-level. The core activities of the CMA will entail EGR teacher training and routine monitoring and support supervision school visits to conduct coaching and mentoring and school-based continuous professional development (CPD) for the teachers and HTs.
• CMAs will also work closely with the HTs, relevant teachers and Para Social Workers (PSWs) and Social Workers (SWs) to facilitate school-related gender-based violence (SRGBV) prevention activities in school and in the community. The activities include training HTs and relevant teachers on Journeys Plus and Journeys for Community, the Early Warning System, etc., as well as establishing SRGBV prevention committees in schools and conducting monitoring and support supervision school visits to coach and mentor HTs and relevant teachers.
• CMAs will support SMCs, PTAs and other community organizations to monitor and develop plans and strategies to address barriers to pupil enrollment, regular attendance and school retention and to address other contributing factors to low EGR competences among P1-P4 learners and combat SRGBV at the school level.
• CMAs will work with the schools and community members and local leaders to facilitate the Local Reading Support Program (LRSP) and Voluntary Literacy Tutoring (VLT) activities;
• CMAs will engage and build positive relationships with local and existing school foundational structures, supporters, and partners to improve support for EGR and safer learning environments.
• CMAs will prepare and submit written reports on ICYD activities and results on a monthly and quarterly basis.
• CMAs will conduct these and other tasks as required in support of the ICYD Activity goals.
The candidate for the position of Community Mobilization Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
• Grade III Teaching Certificate; diploma in a related field is preferred.
• Experience in teaching EGR.
• Experience in teacher training.
• Experience in coaching and mentoring teachers.
• Experience in conducting school-based CPD.
• Experience in facilitating SRGBV prevention activities in school and in the community.
• Experience in implementing community awareness and advocacy activities.
• Community engagement, facilitation, and training skills.
• Detailed understanding of the Ugandan education context.
• Knowledgeable of local government and community structures.
• Ability to verbally communicate in an engaging manner and write clearly and concisely in English.
• Ability to build effective relationships with relevant community and local government structures and peers.
• Ability to work within a cross cultural setting with tolerance and respect and negotiate diplomatically.
• Skills of working in a team, including basic supervision and management skills.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and with minimum supervision.
• Fluency in English and Lëb Acoli and Lëblaŋo is required.
Job application closing date: October 4, 2022
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
Deadline of this Job: 07 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
About Raising The Village
Raising The Village (RTV) is a fast-growing non-profit organization on a mission to end ultra-poverty in last-mile rural communities in Sub-Saharan Africa. Currently operating in Uganda, RTV’s programs address multi-dimensional poverty in remote farming communities with a holistic program model that eliminates immediate barriers of scarcity, nurtures income-generation activities, and builds capacity to empower communities to break the cycle of ultra-poverty and move towards economic growth and resilience. Our HQ is based in Toronto, Canada. RTV Uganda has 109 staff across 13 districts of operations in Western and Eastern Uganda and is a fast-growing organization with ambitious plans to scale across the country. Find out more at: www.raisingthevillage.org.
At RTV, you will be encouraged to embrace leadership opportunities at every level to help shape and innovate the future direction of our organization. You could gain in-depth sector knowledge, connect strengths with talent across RTV and the international network, and participate in initiatives that allow you to give back to your community.
RTV professionals are unified by a mission to eradicate ultra-poverty in our generation. We enjoy an environment of continuous learning, challenging experiences, and enriching career opportunities. What are you waiting for?
The Communications Officer is a seasoned photographer, videographer, and writer who loves storytelling in a multi-platform and multi-stakeholder environment. The role requires someone who is excellent at creating content, loves capturing stories from the field in challenging environments, and is passionate about community development and equity. You understand the power of storytelling for meeting the organization’s objectives and are able to work both independently and in collaboration with various teams to build RTV’s brand, reputation, and effectively communicate impact to partners, government stakeholders, staff, and the general public.
• Document and communicate RTV’s work through powerful storytelling using various mediums including photos, videos, design, and impact stories.
• Ensure that RTV’s publications, reports and videos are of high quality and disseminated appropriately.
• Provide content and ideation in the production of a range of publications including annual report, impact report, donor reports, and newsletters.
• Support in developing and implementing the communications strategy.
• Liaise with mainstream media to profile RTV’s work in accordance with strategy.
• Manage RTV’s digital presence through the website and other social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Youtube etc.
• Provide editorial, design, and creative support during the development of materials such as reports, briefing notes, Information Educative (IEC) materials to ensure that appropriate language is used.
• Collaborate with HR and the Communications team to plan and implement staff-focused communications campaigns.
• Provide creative documentation of staff events.
• Work with Implementation and PEAL teams to identify core areas of focus for impact stories.
• Provide training and support to the Implementation team for growing field staff-led documentation of impact through photos and testimonials.
• Strengthen links with relevant stakeholders including Government departments, donors, partner organizations, staff, and community partners for developing multi-faceted storytelling.
• Liaise with various media houses for publicity and promotion as required.
• Identify/manage logistics for stakeholders for communication activities as required.
• Engage staff and key stakeholders in promoting RTV’s mission. This includes establishing rapport with them and ensuring visibility.
• Prepare accurate and timely communications reports for internal stakeholders.
• Provide written and verbal presentations on communications as required.
• Undertake an evaluation of communications initiatives, maintaining accurate data, including reviewing and reporting against the objectives of the various events.
• Maintain current analytics/statistics and fact sheets on the RTV’s social media platforms and website periodically presented to the Management Team and used in presentations when required.
• Complete administrative reporting on a weekly basis and provide support with information sharing for reporting.
• Coordinate the development and maintenance of relevant communications related databases for contacts, reporting, and upcoming deadlines.
• Perform relevant duties as required.
• Exceptional skills in photography, videography, video editing, and design for social media.
• Demonstrated skills in using social media platforms and website maintenance using Content Management Systems (CMS).
• Knowledge of computer systems and applications, specifically interactive digital media and in particular, advanced Adobe Suite, Canva, MailChimp, WordPress and productivity tools.
• Demonstrated skills in program communications, development of Information, Education and communication material, documentation and publication (including web-based documentation).
• Knowledge of best practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and execution of social media and the presentation of key audiences including donors, government, general public, and media.
• Excellent spoken and written English: general ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral forms; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for traditional and electronic media.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively negotiate and liaise with a wide cross section of people, including internal staff, partners, service providers and the wider community.
• Ability to meet demanding deadlines with strong attention to detail.
• Fluency in English, Luo, Rutooro, Lusanka, Rukiga, and Lusoga. Rufumbira and/or Runyankole are considered an asset.
• Willingness and ability to travel frequently to last mile villages in Uganda for documenting RTV’s work, stories, and impact. Ability to ride and possession of a riding license would be considered an asset.
Required Education and Experience
• A minimum of 3 years of experience as media or communication officer. Experience of working with donor funded projects will be an added advantage.
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
• Demonstrated track record and portfolio of work in photo/video/social media.
Raising The Village is committed to Equity and Inclusion in the workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline of this Job: 11 October 2022JOB DETAILS:
The Social Behavior Change Officer will spear head ADRA’s Social and Behavior Change Communications (SBCC) interventions, with particular emphasis of integrating SBCC components at all stages of GFA project plan, design, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting in Kyaka II
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and refine as needed all relevant SBCC related tools and materials in close collaboration with technical staff, stakeholders, and donor.
2. Provides technical assistance in the development and implementation of rigorous social and behavior change communication strategies and materials (print and audio visual)
3. Provide overall strategic direction for nutrition SBCC-activities.
4. Develop and manage SBCC work plans and budgets that are consistent with the Project’s strategic direction and priorities and ensure implementation of all SBCC plans to reinforce the delivery of appropriate messages through multiple channels
5. Conducting awareness raising campaigns, events, information dissemination, workshop and nutrition training focusing on the SBCC
6. Contribute to and provide inputs on the annual work plan, required project reports, baseline data, tools and indicators for monitoring and evaluation, collection/sharing of lessons learned.
7. Lead efforts to build capacity in the design and implementation of sustainable, high impact, and high-quality nutrition SBCC programs.
8. In collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, identify key gaps, best practices, and promising new approaches for nutrition SBCC.
9. Work collaboratively with other project team members to ensure necessary program planning, development, resource availability and management activities function smoothly and efficiently.
10. Liaise with other actors such as the District Health teams, Community development offices, CSO networks and community structures for partnership and collaboration geared towards strengthening community level Behavior Change Communication
11. Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting. Prepare and submit Weekly updates, monthly activity reports and quarterly reports in quality and timely manner with active participation in monthly review meetings and trainings.
12. Responds to specified SBCC requests of ADRA Co-Partners in ensuring completion of tasks and materials development, printing and delivery in a timely manner and in full support and compliance with ADRA and WFP branding and marking rules, guidelines and regulations
13. Design and develop a detailed SBCC strategy for GFA
14. Explore and adopt multiple channels in reinforcing SBCC key messages like, radio program, TV program, IEC materials disseminations among others
15. Collecting evidence through formative research or assessments/surveys to inform the SBCC interventions and local level advocacy initiatives or engagements.
16. Building capacity of your technical staff to implement and monitor SBCC for part on communication materials. Include pretesting and roll out of BC IEC materials.
• Minimum qualification of a bachelor’s degree in Psychology, counselling, communication and journalism, development studies or social sciences.
• At least 3 years of professional experience in similar position.
• Computer literate and competent with Microsoft office and other data management systems, as required.
Deadline of this Job: 30 September 2022JOB DETAILS:
The position holder will support the Communications function of Mildmay Uganda to improve the public perception and increased awareness of its services/programmes
A Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, or International Relations desirable. The successful candidate will have at least 3 years’ experience in Communications, Public relations, or related work.
He/she MUST have experience in working with social media, photography, and video production. Knowledge about current Health trends, Education, and Research more especially about HIV related work is an added advantage.
All applicants must have a Non-judgmental approach to human relations; be in sympathy with Mildmay Uganda’s Christian values; possess good communication and interpersonal skills; and must be able to maintain good working relationships with clients and colleagues. Customer focus is paramount.