Deadline of this Job: 09 September 2022Background
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP’s work on HIV and Health is geared towards the broader commitment of the organization to eradicate poverty, reduce inequalities, strengthen effective and inclusive governance, and build resilient and sustainable systems for development. This is guided by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and implemented through UNDP’s Strategic Plan 2018-2021 and the HIV, Health and Development Strategy 2016-2021. With the emergency of COVID-19, there has been heighted recognition and appreciation that health is a key development issue which should be integrated and mainstreamed into the development agenda of all countries.UNDP was one of the first agencies to support Institutional capacity development of the HIV and AIDS response in the local governments to address the need for improved national capacity to coordinate, manage and monitor the HIV response. UNDP has been committed to increasing the number of public and private institutions, including civil society organizations that are mainstreaming HIV and AIDS interventions into their core policies, strategies, and programs. UNDP has also been committed to support capacity assessments to determine barriers that impede on human rights and the law. UNDP’s support is anchored in strengthening Government’s capacity in strategic planning, coordination, leadership and ownership of the development agenda and domestication of the Paris Declaration.
WHO and UNDP entered into an agreement to strengthen Health related joint programming and have since made commitments to strengthen country level health systems. It is through this background therefore that accelerated NCDs prevention and control was fast tracked to jointly plan and implement in support of the NCDs national priorities. A UN Interagency Task Force on the Prevention and Control of NCDs was established by the UN Secretary-General in 2013 and reports to ECOSOC annually. The Task Force was established in recognition that Member States require concerted and coordinated action from UN agencies in tackling NCDs as part of the development agenda. To date the Task Force has undertaken around 25 joint programmes and initiatives developed to support countries deliver multi-sectoral action to prevent and control NCDs. Previously, in 2019 the Country Office in partnership with the Joint Programming Mission of the UN Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) on the Prevention and Control of NCDs conducted a Uganda NCDs investment case which gave an insight into the burden of NCDs both economically and Health wise.
It is against the above background that UNDP Uganda seeks to recruit a Programme Office for Health and HIV to coordinate UNDP integrated programing and implementation of HIV, NCDs, Health and Development. This position is under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative, and with the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Research and Development.
• Through in-depth research and analysis, contribute to the development and drafting of policy briefs, guidance notes and other knowledge products on the social determinants of health, with an emphasis on HIV, and NCD prevention and control;
• Take part in the process of analyzing, improving, and adapting policies for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas as appropriate, including HIV, and NCD prevention;
• Support the coordination, testing and rolling out of tools to advance legislation and innovative health financing approaches across development goals.
Programme and Project Planning and Delivery Support.
Support the planning and delivery of ongoing HIV, NCD Projects and other health programmes:
I. Coordinate UNDP’s work on HIV and Health
• Work with Ministry of Health, OPM, MOGLSD, Parliament, UAC, and other stakeholder to integrate, track and report on the multi-sector health development agenda for NCDs, Mental Health, Sustainable Financing, Health Emergencies, etc;
• Work with Ministry of Health, UAC, and other key stakeholders to strengthen links between Gender, legal and human rights in the SDGS, the Health Strategic Plan and National HIV Strategic Plan;
• Work closely with Ministry of Health and other stakeholders to facilitate access to HIV and Health, particularly NCDs information;
• Work closely with key stakeholders to develop approaches that reduce HIV related stigma and discrimination among people living with HIV, key populations, refugees, and other vulnerable groups.
II. Coordinate UNDP’s work on governance programming within the JUPSA and UN Joint Programme on NCDs through the following actions.
• Work with Ministry of Health, UAC, Office of the President, OPM and other stakeholders to support coordination, reporting and other systems strengthening areas;
• Work with Uganda Aids Commission, Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Finance, Office of the Prime Minister on financing for development, monitoring of the various financing initiatives like the AIDS trust fund, the Health financing scheme and the “one dollar initiative” of the Private Sector;
• Working with Ministry of Health, UAC, NPA, and other key stakeholders the officer will strengthen links between Poverty reduction, economic empowerment, infrastructural development, Gender and Human rights.
III. Contributing to programme design and management
• Support the development and formulation of new project proposals and workplans, as well as the timely completion of evaluation reports of existing initiatives;
• Contribution to continuous monitoring and assessment of the programme impact (intended or non-intended/positive or negative), with special attention to potential perverse effects to political, social, and economic governance;
• Co-ordinate participating agencies in annual work planning, review, and reporting processes in line with the agreed monitoring and evaluation framework of the Joint Programmes;
• Manage contracting and administrative processes relating to projects, including monitoring progress on deliverables, and providing quality assurance;
• Provide technical support to programme teams and respond to country office needs as appropriate, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping;
• Prepare materials as requested by supervisor to support the application of integrated multi-disciplinary approaches, including training materials and guidance notes for the country office team and partners.
Communication and Representation
• Prepare communication and advocacy materials to support mobilizing, fostering, and strengthening strategic partnerships with UN entities and other relevant bodies;
• Draft and aid the development of briefings and speeches, and represent UNDP, as requested, in external meetings;
• Prepare advocacy materials on the importance of NCD prevention and control to deepen related political commitment and related reforms.
• Keep an up-to-date record of relevant knowledge products, whether at the global, regional levels and proactively share documents with team members and respond to their specific requests for information;
• Contribute to the development and review of knowledge products in close coordination with HQ and Regional Hub teams by analyzing and sharing lessons learnt and programme evaluation results;
• Support quality assurance of knowledge products as requested.
Partnership support and Facilitation of UN Inter-agency collaboration and coordination
• Support health team’s engagement in UN interagency coordination, in particular the UN Inter-Agency Task Force on NCDs, on HIV, on health emergencies and resilience, by serving as focal point on thematic working groups as needed as well as by providing research insight and ensuring follow-up to tasks assigned to UNDP;
• Support ongoing partnership efforts with the WHO on the implementation of the SDG3 Global Action Plan;
• Foster partnerships including for resource mobilization and advocacy activities with UN partners, civil society, and other external stakeholders.
This position is under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative, with supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and day to day direct supervision of the Partnerships, Innovation and Development Solutions Specialist.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements .
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Acumen: Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Knowledge generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Project management: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written andverbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s degree in the areas of Public Health, International Development, Public Administration and Management or any related fields.
• At least 2 or more years of progressive relevant work (HIV, NCDs and broader health) experience at National level in project support and management;
• Hands-on experience in design and implementation of partnership initiatives and events;
• Demonstrated ability to translate research and evidence into well-written, policy relevant communications, for example: policy briefs, discussion notes, academic papers, and guidance documents;
• Experience engaging with government officials on Health and HIV is an asset;
• Knowledge and experience of UNDP and/or UN agency and/or other development organizations is an asset; especially work experience on a multi-agency project/programme;
• Experience in the Health Sector Programing and National HIV/AIDS Response;
• Experience in providing technical advice at senior level, technical expertise and working knowledge of HIV/AIDS, Health and Development;
• Good communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations to senior level professionals, experience working with UN or other international organizations will be an added advantage;
• Experience of working within an international development organization is required.
• Fluency in writing and speaking English
Deadline of this Job: 09 September 2022Job Description
Reporting to the Medical Officer, the Registered Nurse will be responsible for executing the responsibilities below.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide training in infection control practices for national staff, including on the job mentoring
• Ensure that clinical management and infection prevention and control procedures are being applied by clinical staff according to a strict protocol
• Conduct rounds in health facility wards and departments, discussing and monitoring infection control practices with staff.
• Develop and implement systems for improving IPC across the health facility wards and departments.
• Supervise the Ebola screening process and provide support with triage of cases that meet the suspect case definition as required.
• Establish a system for EVD monitoring on inpatient wards.
• Ensure distribution of IPC equipment and supplies to supported facilities
• Maintain inventory of supplies and anticipate timing of replenishment
• Provide technical support for PPE, drug management and medical supply systems
• Track and monitor facility IPC progress and follow-up, ensuring completion of IPC assessments
• Compile and submit daily ward reports.
• Allocated resources managed and accounted for.
• This position may enter the red zone/wet area of the isolation unit.
• Work within the health post and community in the catchment population and collaborate with the health implementing partners in the settlement.
• Participate in project review meetings and engaging with the appropriate stakeholders.
• Supervise and appraise assigned cadres of staff at the health facility.
• Must be trained at a registered level from a recognized Nursing-Midwifery Training Institution.
• At least two (2) years’ working experience as a Registered Nurse.
• Clinical experience mostly in isolation wards and emergencies, with demonstrated experience with viral hemorrhagic fevers or cholera treatment centers
• Must be registered and licensed with the Nurses and Midwives Council.
• Ability to effectively provide guidance and counseling
• Concern for quality and standards
• This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
• Deadline for receiving applications is September 9th 2022.
Deadline of this Job: 31 August 2022Objective of the position:
• Fabricate, repair and issue good quality prosthetics/orthotics (assistive devices and appliances) for patients/users.
Assessment of patient/user
• Is responsible for the examination of the patient/user and prescription of prosthetics/orthotics; and advises on the design of the prosthetic/orthotic device interface, suspension and selection of the proper components.
• Advises on relevant aspects of pre-surgical, post-surgical, medical and therapeutic management of individuals requiring prosthetic/ orthotic devices.
• Records and reports any pertinent information regarding patients/users and their families, including a determination of expectations and needs.
• Communicates appropriate information to patients/users and their families.
Fabrication, Fitting and Issuing of prosthetics/orthotics
• Identiﬁes physical and other relevant characteristics of the patient/user.
• Formulates a range of prosthetic or orthotic designs including selection of materials, components and additional aids.
• Is responsible for all casts and measurements required for proper fabrication and ﬁtting.
• Modiﬁes positive and/or negative models and/or layouts of design to obtain optimal ﬁt and alignment.
• Carries out ﬁtting, static and dynamic alignment and, where appropriate, preliminary training and initial check-out.
• Performs and/or supervises fabrication of the prosthesis or orthosis.
Evaluation and follow-up
• Advises the team and participates directly in ﬁnal check-out and evaluation of ﬁt, function and cosmesis.
• Instructs the patient/user or family in the use and care of the device.
• Takes part in follow-up procedures as well as maintenance, repair and replacement of the appliance.
• Recognizes the need to repeat any of the identiﬁed steps in order to optimize ﬁt and function.
• Collaborates and consults with other multidisciplinary team members engaged in the management of the patient/user.
Management and supervision
• Supervises the tasks of supporting staff and manages workshop activities assigned to him/her, including:
• use and maintenance of tools and equipment
• maintenance of safe working environment and procedures
• inventory and stock control
• appropriate record keeping
• production quality control
• Devises improved job methods for increasing efﬁciency.
• Liaises with various disciplines/departments involved in client rehabilitation whenever required.
Training and education
Supervise and take part in the training of orthopaedic technologists, technicians and bench workers.
Train and demonstrate to colleagues and other professionals concerned with prosthetics/orthotics and also to community and other interested groups.
Participate in Information, Education and Communication (IEC) sessions for patients and attendants.
Participate and contribute to the process of continuing professional development.
Keeps abreast of new developments concerning prosthetics/orthotics and teaching techniques.
Participate in community rehabilitation programs about prosthetics and orthotics upon request.
Qualification, Skills and Experience
• Diploma in Orthopaedic Technology.
• Up-to-date registration and annual practicing licence with Uganda Allied Health Professionals’ Council.
• Skills to fabricate Canadian prostheses, Upper limb prostheses, corsets and callipers.
• Minimum of 3 years’ working experience.
• Knowledge of rehabilitation of people with disabilities especially children
• Computer knowledge and documentation skills.