The position holder will timely coordinate flow of information, updates, and documentsbetween the procurement team, and stakeholders; collecting analyzing procurement data andpublishing procurement performance reports. Also assists Procurement Officers inperformance some buying functions and acts in Procurement Officer Capacity in the event ofleave/ absence of a Procurement Officer.
Roles & Responsibilities
1. Principal duties;
• Ddeveloping a tracking/update tool that contains all pending purchase requests anduser inquiries; update the status of each inquiry daily and share an update withrequesters daily;
• Checking the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tool (Microsoft Dynamics Navision)for all new purchase requisitions and add these to the tracking/ update tool. In addition,add any new inquiries arising outside of the ERP tool to the tracking/ update tool;• Collecting regular updates from Procurement Officers and Head of Procurement onprogress of their respective pending purchase requests and update the tracking/ updatetool each week with updates that are accurate and useful to users;
• Checking weekly shipping plan and shipping pre-alerts from the shipping agents andupdate the tracking/ update tool to show import orders that are planned for shipping,in transit, under customs clearance or delivered to stores, rejected/ returned, pendingpayment, paid;
• Contacting shipping agents and clearing agents for updates on import orders that areplanned for shipping or undergoing customs clearance and update tracking/update toolaccordingly;
• Regularly contact and liaise with shipping agents to inform them of orders requiringcollection and orders to be delivered to shipping agent by suppliers;
• Supporting Procurement Officers in following up with suppliers on orders that are duefor collection or delivery or delayed and push for fulfilment or new delivery dates;• Require shipping agent to provide pre-alert documents including invoices, waybills/ billsof lading, export certificates;
• Contacting suppliers for certificates of conformity, certificates of analysis, materialsafety data sheets and any other documents required by shipping and clearing agentsfor successful shipping and customs clearance of imported consignments;• Liaising with the Unit pharmacist to lodge applications for National Drug AuthorityImport Verification Certificates (NDA VCs) and with the clearing agent to apply forUganda National Bureau of Standards(UNBS) destination inspection for all importshipments that require them;
• Requesting Cash or Bank Transfer payments (per Unit Accounts Payables Policy) andcoordinate with drivers and/ or accountants and regulatory agencies to ensurepayments for permits/ inspections are made in timely fashion, and permits areprovided/ inspections are conducted accordingly;
• Responding to inquiries of shipping agent on orders to be consolidated or separatedfrom weekly shipping consignments;
• Instructing shipping agent when required, on treatment of different orders, pickups,deliveries and shipments;
• Consult Procurement Officers on any information needed by shipping agents and act assingle point of contact between Unit and shipping agent/ customs clearing agent;• Being accountable for procuring logistics requirements of the Unit, in compliance withthe Unit Procurement Policies and Standard Operating Practices, including procurementof shipping agent and clearing agent services;
• Managing sourcing, selection and ordering of services of couriers for shipment ofsamples, biological shipments and courier shipments both locally and internationally;• Receiving payment schedules and invoices from logistics and clearing agents, checkingaccuracy of the same, submitting these for requisitioning, approval and following uptheir timely payment;
• Tracking of all procurement deliveries to the Unit and ensure these are appropriatelyforwarded for payment and settled in accordance with the Unit’s Accounts PayablesPolicy;
• Regularly updates the tracking/update tool with the payment status of each outstandingorder
• Coordinating with the Stores department, Procurement department, Financedepartment and Suppliers to troubleshoot/ investigate and resolve any contested or‘on-hold’ deliveries and ensure these are escalated for resolving or resolved andpayments settled;
• Receiving the Finance ‘Outstanding Pre-payments’ report and follow up withProcurement Officers, Requesters, and Stores to provide correct updates on the statusof open pre-paid orders;
• Keeping track of the annual tender and initiatives plans and produce a monthlydashboard/report on progress of completion of tenders and initiative projects;• Keeping track of the annual Procurement team targets and publish a monthly updateon progress towards achieving Procurement objectives;
• Collecting and analyse data from the ERP tool and other sources, on each purchaserequest and the different stages from need realization to delivery. In addition, use thisdata to report on Procurement’s performance in achieving service levels and turnaroundtimes, for each purchase request;
• Relieving Procurement Officers and perform Procurement officer functions when aProcurement Officer is on leave, out of office or when assigned to do so by Head ofprocurement;
• Performing any reasonable clerical actions requested by Procurement Officers includingfiling; and,
• Inspecting deliveries following up with suppliers and/ or requestors on specific requests.
2. Financial Management
• Complies with all Unit Financial and Procurement policies and SOPs while conductingduties.
3. LSHTM Integration
• Participate positively and proactively in the process of integrating and harmonisingprocedures across all LSHTM sites.
• Participate in carbon emission reduction activities across the Unit and wider LSHTM
• Act as an advocate for the responsible and efficient use of resources
• Bachelor’s degree in Procurement, Logistics, Supply Chain management, or related fieldrequired;
• CIPS qualification, minimum Level 5 as an alternative to Bachelor’s degree;
• Should possess experience working with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system;
• Previous experience in an analytical role, working with spreadsheets, analyzing data andproducing reports;
• Previous progressive experience in procurement/ logistics/ supply chain role;
• Should possess Intermediate level user of Microsoft Excel;
• Knowledge of standard workplace IT-tools such use of computers, scanners and WindowsOffice;
• Good understanding of international trade, logistics, laws, practices and Uganda customsrequirements;
• Exemplifying Integrity – zero tolerance to unethical acts;
• Client orientation – always putting self in client’s shoes;
• Innovation – constantly developing new or improved approaches;
• Quick learner – quickly picks up and applies new information on the job; and,
• Results focused – looks for ways to achieve results, not excuses why results cannot be achieved.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity whilefilling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting. Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & certified copies of academic documents into one PDF document. Deadline for application is 26th August 2022, 5:00 pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do sowill lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications through the link provided willbe accepted. You will receive a notification in your email if your application anddocumentation have been successfully received.
N.B: You will be required to present certified copies of your academic documentation beforeemployment and so are advised to embark on the certification process soon enough to enabletimely contracting.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Organizational context and scope
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of
IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations Units in various IOM Country Offices, coordinated under the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the
Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters (HQ), are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving
Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the administrative and functional supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) IOM Uganda and the direct supervision of the Logistics and Procurement Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for driving IOM Vehicles transporting the refugees from the camps to the capital and vice versa and inside the city in the framework of the resettlement multi-year program. The incumbent will be also responsible for driving IOM vehicles to transport IOM staff and goods authorized by IOM, from one destination to another in a timely, safe, and cost-effective manner.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Drive assigned IOM office vehicle(s) under Resettlement and Movement Management
• Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s) to ensure roadworthiness of the vehicles. This includes daily check of tires, brakes, engine oil, fan belt, etc.
• Arrange for minor repairs and ensures that the vehicles are kept clean.
• Ensure that the vehicles undertake regular service intervals.
• Keep records of spare parts for vehicle(s) and conduct monthly inventory of the spare parts.
• Find the most direct and safe route over the best available roads to the destination.
• Ensure that the IOM vehicle(s) is used only for official/authorized business, as advised by the supervisor.
• Make sure that the daily log sheet is prepared, and a monthly report is prepared summarizing statistics linked to mileage, fuel consumption, etc. for the vehicle.
• Keep a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness in discussions, which involves IOM and its officials. Take proper actions to reduce potential security threats to IOM officials and/or property within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and along transport routes.
• Meet official personnel at the airport(s) and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
• Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications/items from and to the country office; go to the post office, airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required.
• When needed, assist the country office staff in performing simple clerical duties such as making and answering telephone calls, making photocopies, keeping records, etc.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• High school degree/certificate with minimum 2 years of relevant working experience or bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Valid national driver’s licence.
• Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
• Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles
• Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
• Knowledge of radio, email, telephone, and other applications.
• Strong computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet
• Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills;
• Attention to details;
• Proven ability to communicate cross-culturally;
• Fluency in English
• Working Knowledge of any other UN languages.
• Required Competencies
• The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural
• differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to
• achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and
• assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication;
• explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting Logistics Officer for our program in Uganda to be based at Kampala Office. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Reporting to the Logistics Manager, the Logistics Officer will be responsible overseeing logistics, administrative and security support cells of ALIGHT Uganda Program. He/she will ensure effective and efficient support services to ALIGHT’s programs, ensure that ALIGHT’s and other applicable procedures and regulations relating to logistics, security and administration are complied with. He/she will be responsible for performing and applying appropriate processes, procedures and policies that support the efficient and effective supply chain and procurement services. He/she will also be responsible for the transit stores, assets and compound management activities ensuring performance according to ALIGHT and Donor guidelines.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Day to day Responsibilities:
Premises and Compound Management
• Ensure that all ALIGHT premises are managed in accordance with ALIGHT procedures and guidelines.
• Ensure proper documentation of maintenance needs in coordination with the field operations staffs.
• Follow up repairs and maintenance of the office in relation to plumbing, painting, basic electricity, carpentry, basic masonry and other technical work in coordination with the Logistics Manager, Admin Officer and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator.
• Suggest possible maintenance or rehabilitation works of the offices and staff residences in consultations with the Logistics Manager, Admin Officer and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator.
• Ensure the follow up of each works within ALLIGHT Uganda Country Office premises accordance to contract terms and conditions.
• Together with the Logistics Manager, discuss and plan possible compound maintenance or rehabilitation works agreement with the Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator or his appointee.
• Ensure regular health and safety checks carried out of the offices (e.g. fire extinguishers, fire / smoke alarms, fire evacuation procedures, fire blankets, first aid kits, drinking water, garbage disposal, repairs & maintenance, etc) and all health and safety equipment in place and operational.
• Ensure all security guards are deployed timely and monthly guards’ rotation schedules are followed, guards are provided with necessary equipment (phone, torch, rain gear, etc)
• Make monthly reports on the premises to the Logistics Manager and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator by the 3rd of every month.
• Receive and recount all supplies and equipment purchased for both Kampala Office and the field sites.
• Carry out joint Inspection on deliveries to confirm that materials delivered conform to the details of the Purchase Order, Delivery Note and or Way Bill and that they are free of any damage before accepting them into the store.
• Store organizational supplies and equipment in line with the operations guidelines.
• Issue stores supplies and materials to different departmental / unit users in Kampala and across the field offices in line with the ARC’s Uganda’s operations guidelines.
• Plan and distribute items from Kampala transit store to all field offices in a timely manner.
• Reconcile the physical stock balances by carrying out periodic stock taking in accordance with stores and procurement guidelines.
• Conduct a comprehensive stock taking exercise and check for replenished items and supplies that have either expired or out of stock.
• Receive users’ departments / units’ requisitions fully authorized, pick, prepack supplies and prepare issue vouchers to acknowledge receipts.
• Generate consumption data for forecasting supplies and determine optimal storage capacity requirements for ARC stock including those of field sites.
• Ensure safety and security of stores, equipment and materials kept in the store.
• Ensure that the store is tidy and well-arranged all the time to ease removal of or getting in materials and or movement of people.
• Timely reporting (dashboard) on warehouse tracker, inventory reports for donors, monthly physical stock count reports.
• Support Logistics Manager in Assets and Stores Management.
• Create equipment issue forms and asset ID cards, maintain and regularly update the records of assets with users and file all corresponding documents in Kampala Office.
• Conduct quarterly physical asset verifications across all offices in line with the operations guidelines.
• Ensure proper storage, management and up keeping of all ALIGHT assets in Kampala and Field office levels.
• Ensure that any movement of assets is properly approved, recorded and documented in the equipment issue forms and asset registers are appropriately updated.
• Maintain a detailed electronic tracking system of all inventory and materials received and issued in line with the stores and donor guidelines.
• Monitor ALIGHT assets using tracking tools, submit incident reports to department head for any incidents of losses, damages and violation of policies.
• Maintain all ALIGHT / donor assets especially computers, tablets, printers, copiers, satellite phone, etc in good condition.
• Manage and maintain the updated asset and inventory registers for the entire ALIGHT Country Program, update them on a daily basis and ensure that all the new assets are tagged / engraved accordingly.
• Prepare incident reports on losses, damages and theft of assets, corresponding Police Reports, file copies for internal records and escalate incidences to the Logistics Manager to follow up insurance claims.
• Manage the Logistics Information Management system for both ALIGHT Kampala.
• Monitor the status of all assets including inventories and spearhead their repairs and maintenance in collaboration with IT Officer.
• Work closely with the Logistics Manager and Logistics and Supply Chain Coordinator (Head of Unit) in all asset disposals for ALIGHT following specific donor procedures and regulations.
• Perform any other duties assigned to you.
• Manage all ALIGHT rentals and lease agreements country wide while tracking their expiry and expedite renewals.
• Looking of office spaces and houses for expatriates as well as make requests for lease agreements and ensure renewals are raced and processed in timely manner.
• Ensure safe and cost-effective staff accommodation as per policy to field staffs.
• Manage and maintain of office buildings, facilities, and utilities for healthy work environment.
• Ensure International in-bound and out-bound travels are well coordinated and supported with vehicles, security briefs and travel logistics notes prior to departures.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Procurement and Logistics Management /or Operations, Business administration, international trade, CIPS or related
• Minimum of two (2) years of work experience with development or relief organizations working in complex emergency situations and/or development settings
• Minimum two (2) years of managing the operations and coordination experience with development/relief programs at comparable job level.
• Familiarity with private, UN, US government and multilateral donor Logistics requirements and working.
• High proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English; also, proficiency in the use of computers and standard application, including use of Information Management Systems (IMS).
• Strong analytical, written and verbal skills
• High level of integrity, accountability and personal ethic
• Good interpersonal skills; ability and inclination to work in/with teams
• High level of self-drive, discipline and desire to achieve
• A go getter requiring minimal supervision to work towards results.
• Willingness to travel and stay for extended periods in remote refugee sites to support work.
• Eye Health – preventing blindness and promoting eye health for all
• Inclusive Education – ensuring children with disabilities receive quality, inclusive education
• Inclusive Economic Empowerment – ensuring that barriers are removed for men and women with disabilities to access decent work
We focus on the poorest and hardest to reach because that’s where we will have the biggest impact.
In Uganda, our country strategy for the year 2021-2025 focuses on Eye health, Inclusive Economic Empowerment, Disability Inclusion and Inclusive Education.
Currently, Light for the World Uganda implements projects on eye health, inclusive economic empowerment and disability inclusion with a presence in 21 districts.
Light for the World is recruiting for the position below.
Number of Positions: 3
Based in Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to the Procurement & Logistics Officer, the On Call Driver will be responsible for providing reliable and safe driving services and maintaining LFTW vehicles within and outside Kampala Office as per technical guidance and specifications established by the organization.
The Driver also demonstrates a client – oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. Overall the driver should abide by LFTW policies and guidelines pertaining to project vehicle use and management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Operating the vehicle to provide reliable and safe transportation for staff of the organization for official movements.
2. Safe delivery and collection of mail, documents and any other cargo.
3. Loading and offloading items and filling delivery documents as required.
4. Maintaining documentation in regard to fleet operations as per the mileage covered, fuel utilized, trips made and purpose for the journeys in the given logbook.
5. Getting the vehicle serviced as per schedule and reporting any necessary repairs on it for attention.
6. Maintaining a record of the maintenance and service schedule in the given logbook.
7. Keeping the vehicle interior and exterior clean at all times.
8. Operating the vehicle within the given speed limits.
9. Ensuring that the right number of passengers use the vehicle with the fitted seat belts.
10. Making sure that the vehicle insurance is up to date.
11. Keeping a valid driver’s license and copies of any other appropriate documents for the vehicle assigned.
12. Ensure availability of all requirements including, valid driving license, insurance, vehicle logs, emergency phone contacts, first aid kit & necessary spares in the assigned vehicle.
13. Comply with LFTW policies and procedures in relation to reporting any anomalies, incidents and / or accidents in regard to the vehicle.
14. Prepare a vehicle report for the vehicle assigned at the end of each usage period.
15. Ensure that the vehicle is parked safely at all times.
• Uganda Certificate of Education.
• Very good knowledge of spoken and written English.
• Valid clean Driving License with Class B or D1 with at least 5 years of driving experience.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• High level of honesty and integrity.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
• Basic knowledge of store keeping.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• Experience working in an NGO or similar organisation.